Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Life the Lord Commends by Chris White






 When he returned, after receiving the kingdom, he ordered that these slaves, to whom he had given the money, be called to him so that he might know what business they had done.  The first appeared, saying, ‘Master, your mina has made ten minas more.’  And he said to him, ‘Well done, good slave, because you have been faithful in a very little thing, you are to be in authority over ten cities.’

--Luke 19:15-17

     When Jesus told the parable of the Minas He was preparing his disciples for what lay ahead of Him in Jerusalem.  They were expecting that Jesus would inaugurate his messianic kingdom very soon.  Jesus knew he would be betrayed, rejected, killed, and rise on the third day.  He would be ushering in his kingdom not immediately but after a long period of time.  The main point of the parable is that while we wait for the day of his return we are faithfully seek through our stewardship an increase for the Lord.  Unlike the parable of the Talents, the distribution to the servants in this parable is equal.  All are given the same amount by the Lord at the start and only the servants who made a great increase received the Lord’s commendation.  When I think of what the Lord gives to his disciples that is completely equal the only thing it could be is life.  Money, intellect, faith, and spiritual giftings have a more uneven distribution.  So how do I steward my life to seek an increase for the Lord?  Am I growing in my intellect and abilities?  Am I using my energy and resources to expand the reach of the gospel and the kingdom?  Am I increasing in my love of God and my neighbor?  This life is not a waiting room for heaven but a preparation ground for coming kingdom.  The Lord commends our growth in this life by offering even greater responsibility and stewardship in the life after.  How is it with your stewardship?

No comments:

Post a Comment